November 1993: Sold at auction to a gentleman who wished to use them on a proposed tour of the Murrieta Temecula valley. The tour did not go ahead and the buses remained in a back yard for nearly 15 years (see above photos).
January 1972: Exported (perhaps with the non-authentic route 11 blinds in the apertures) to a museum 'the Hill Country Wagons to Wings Collection', Morgan Hill, California, USA along with RLH 53 and RLH 69 (for the next 40 years, those three buses stayed together).
17th April 1971: Withdrawn from London Transport
February 1971: Reinstated, to begin a final two month stint from Dalston garage.
September 1970: Stored out of use
RLH 71 was always a Central area red bus, and during its LT career of nearly 20 years, served at all 4 of the Central area garages which operated RLHs.
Early history: According to the official LT record, it was allocated new to Merton on the 11.12.52. It was first overhauled between 13.9.56 and 1.11.56. It was re-allocated to Harrow Weald from 20.8.58, and overhauled twice whilst working from that base (from 16.6.61 to 1.9.61 and 28.10.65 to 16.12.65). Another change of garage on 1.3.66 took it to Hornchurch for route 248.
1952: RLH 71 was built, painted in red for use in the London Transport central area.
UK registration number: MXX 271. For other identifying numbers (chassis, body etc) please see this table.