RLH 23 has now been lovingly preserved for longer than its service career with London Transport.
RLH 23 was the first RLH in the UK to be re-licensed for commercial passenger carrying service including private hires. It has a fully refurbished interior with all original features retained, including the extensive used of wooden trimming.
View RLH 23's private hire page on the commercial Timebus web site.
2001: RLH 23 was repainted red, but the colour of the central horizontal band changed from cream to flake grey.
13th April 1996 - took part in a route 178 recreation on the occasion of 25 years since the last London lowbridge service
July 1987: RLH 23 was fully PCV certified with Timebus Travel (later called just Timebus), the first RLH in the UK to be re-licensed for commercial passenger carrying service including private hires.
1967: Purchased for preservation by David Pring and D James
June 1966: withdrawn
1964: Final garage allocation to Dalston in 1964, where it ran on the 178 route.
1959: Went back to Hornchurch, for route 248
November 1955: Repainted red during an overhaul and moved to another Central garage, Harrow Weald. Only 8 RLHs changed colour (all from green to red) during their London careers.
February 1955: Transferred to the Central area at Hornchurch, the first time this garage had been allocated RLHs. 3 other RLHs also moved there at this time. It was still painted green
1952: RLH 23 began its career in Country area green colours, at Addlestone garage.
1952: RLH 23 was built, painted in green for use in the London Transport country area.
UK registration number: MXX 223. For other identifying numbers (chassis, body etc) please see this table.
© Timebus 2000-2021