Dalston (code D) was a Central area garage which operated RLHs on the following routes:
|Dates of Operation||
|178||Stratford (Maryland Stn) - Hackney Wick - Homerton - Clapton Pond||4.8 m||Low (Carpenter's Road)||13/05/1959 - 16/04/1971||14|
|178||Clapton Pond - Hackney (Mare Street) - Dalston (LT Garage)||? m||High||Positioning journeys only||?|
|Greyhound Express||Stratford (Maryland Stn) - Hackney Stadium (Waterden Road)||2.5 m||Low (Carpenter's Road)||Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings||?|
Dalston garage had opened in 1906, in a converted barracks, and was located in Shrubland Road (south side, west of Ivydene Road). It was built for an independent company, the Motor Bus Co. (fleet name Pilot), which was bought by Vanguard Motorbus Co. Ltd in 1907, and then amalgamated into the LGOC in 1908. It gained the code D in 1911. Unusually, most of the routes operated did not actually go near the garage, including the main 178 (although garage journeys operated).
The garage eventually closed in 1981, being replaced by the new Ash Grove Garage at Cambridge Heath.
16th April 1971
RLH 61 leaving Dalston garage
Photo copyright and used with permission of R. Smith
RLH Route 178 was created as a new route in May 1959, replacing single deck RF buses on route 208A around Stratford. Most of the buses were available for this new allocation since Merton garage had stopped operating RLHs around 6 months previous, but three extras were also required from the Country area, and repainted red instead of green.
In June 1966, the allocation of RLHs to Dalston was reduced from fourteen to twelve (a graph of the allocation can be viewed here).
The timetable ran on Mondays to Saturdays, every 10-12 minutes frequency until 8.30pm (except between Hackney Wick and Stratford, where in peak hours there were many short extra workings, increasing the frequency to around 4 minutes).
Since clearance above the RLHs under the low bridge on Carpenter's Road was so tight, drivers were instructed to travel at 5mph under it!
RLH 57 under the low bridge on Carpenter's Road on 1 March 1971.
Copyright David Pring
RLH 71 under the low bridge on Carpenter's Road on 1 March 1971.
Copyright David Pring
This was the last route on which the RLHs (and therefore any low bridge designs) were in service with London Transport. The service finished in April 1971 when replaced by single deck one person operated flat-fare Swift type buses, which were based from West Ham garage. These operated on existing service S2, and a new service S3 (between Stratford and Hackney Wick).
Three RLHs were deroofed by driving under low bridges (off their correct route) - RLH 72 in 1964, RLH 58 in 1966 and RLH 56 in 1968. The first two were repaired, it is believed a new roof was made for RLH 56 but it was never fitted, and the bus withdrawn.
After the RLHs were withdrawn from the route, blue examples could still regularly be seen in the area, as private Lesney staff buses.
On Saturday 13th April 1996, to commemorate 25 years since the last London lowbridge bus service, route recreations were held on route 178 with RLH 23 and RLH 48. See gallery from this event.
On Sunday 16th April 2006, to commemorate the 35th anniversary, more recreations were held on route 178 with RLH 23, RLH 48 and RLH 61. More details.
In July 2007, the section of Carpenters Road containing the low bridge was closed for development along with the site of the 2012 Olympic Games. It re-opened in 2014, by now with a new road passing parallel to the north side of the bridge. However the bridge has a reduced (and compulsory) maximum height limit signed as 13'0". Unfortunately this means that RLHs will no longer be able to go under the bridge for photos or route recreations in future.
From 14/12/64, in Hackney Wick, north bound buses could no longer turn right from Wick Road into Eastway due to a traffic restriction (see map linked to near top of page). From this point on, south bound buses continued on the old route, but north bound buses went via Trowbridge Road and Osborne Road to reach Eastway.
From 10/2/69 Lett Road was blocked off halfway down. This had previously been the road taken by west bound 178s, from Carpenters Road. From that date, they had to go the same way east bound services always had done, i.e. continue a bit further and then turn left into High Street Stratford.
Routes and Garages Overview
© Timebus 2004-2017